Monday, May 10, 2010

What do Vegans Eat? Brunch, or how I learned to relax and love the scramble

To start off our new blog I am jumping right into one of the reasons to start the blog in the first place! The question we all, as vegans, hear most frequently... "What do you eat?"
I always have a hard time coming up with a succinct and intelligent answer to this--"Food?" Is what I usually blurt out, or defensively--"All kinds of stuff!" It is not really something I can answer in a sentence. So let us answer it in a blog!

Brunch
One of my most favorite meals. Also a meal that is almost synonymous with two ingredients that are definitely NOT vegan. Cheese and eggs...so what in the heck do you eat? I personally love making brunch at home.

Love quiche?
Well I discovered that quiche vegan style is so simple it's criminal! I made an easy and super yummy quiche for a potluck and it went over without a hitch with veggies and omnis alike! The recipe is easy to change around. I made a mushroom and spinach quiche instead of asparagus. I wish had a photo to share. I will get better about it promise!

Like omelets?
I tried out an omelet recipe from my favorite vegan cookbook and it was great! It really cooks up well in the skillet and looks like an omelet and tastes great!

(I need to perfect my food photography skills to say the least)

When I first went vegan the true staple for that Sunday morning brunch was the "Tofu Scramble" I am no cook but I do love to make scrambles so I will share the ingredients I use to make it extra scrumptious. Tofu Scramble is a super easy introduction to the vegan brunch!

Ingredients
  • I package firm tofu
  • a few Tbsp of olive or sesame oil
  • one small onion diced
  • 2 (or more!) cloves of garlic minced
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp turmeric
  • 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cups of diced fresh veggies
I am addicted to spices in general so I throw various things in with this like cumin, garlic powder (did I mentioned I LOVE garlic) etc etc but this basic format should start you guys off...
This is a scramble so add some veggies! You can add pretty much anything to this but I recommend spinach, mushrooms, tomatoes and carrots.

To Cook

Slice up all of your veggies and drain your tofu. Heat up the oil in a non stick pan. I usually go with a medium high setting. First add the chopped onions. When the onions are soft add tofu. I crumble the tofu in the pan with the back of the spatula. Cook for about 5 min stirring occasionally. When the tofu begins to turn brown add the seasonings. Once stirred in add the veggies and cover and cook until the veggies are soft. Serve with toast, sauteed potatoes, or as a sandwich.

-Golden

3 comments:

  1. My husband and I have been experimenting with tofu. I am looking forward to reading this blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great, I am glad you came by too! If you have any questions that come up we are thinking about starting a reader questions segment (if there is an interest).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know husband's aren't exactly unbiased but, having personally eaten the omelet in that photo, I would like to say that I LOVE IT! It is a great recipe and an easy way to replace eggs without sacrificing flavor!

    ReplyDelete