Well, we have something in common. But you know what? That's no excuse!
Seriously. I made this pasta while running in and out of the house feeding horses, the calf, the pigs, and I even prepared the dogs' dinner - all while cooking this yummy dish. I was cooking for two with plans to have leftovers.
- Pasta - Any kind will do. Spaghetti, Zitti, bowties, shells, whatever! I prefer to use the colored pasta as opposed to bleached, but today I used up the bleached penne. The amount (size of box) depends on how many you are cooking for.
- Sauce - you can either make this from scratch, which is easy but adds an additional step. Or you can use pre-made sauce like Ragu, Pregu, or Publix brand. Many varieties of pre-made sauces have cheese (whey, casein, or cheese) in them, so be vigilant.
- Veggies - Whatever is in your fridge. You only need 1/2 - 1 of each type of veg. Green pepper, red pepper, tomato, onion, garlic.
- Sausage - I used Tofurkey Italian Sausage . You only need 1/2 a package.
- Italian bread & butter (optional) - I got Publix brand Cuban bread because the Italian bread had an egg wash.
- Boil pasta as directed on box
- Slice the sausage into thin cuts.
- Drop 1 tsp oil in a frying pan, heat on medium, fry the sausage slices in the oil for just a few minutes. Turn them over and fry for another minute. Set aside.
- Add another tsp oil in same frying pan. Fry your garlic first (I used 4 cloves, but I should have used a lot more!), then onions, peppers.
- Add spices as needed - pepper, salt, etc.
- Dump pre-made sauce onto the veggies and cover and simmer until hot.
- Throw the bread into a toaster oven on the "toast" setting or into a conventional oven at 400 for just a few minutes. When it darkens just a bit it is ready! Crispy on the outside, steamy on the inside!