Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Philly Cheesesteak




When I saw the Tofurky Philly option, I knew I had to try to recreate the cheesesteak. The ingredients I used are based on preference and what my local stores carry, but you can get creative:

Philly-Style Cheeze Tofursteak Sammich

yields enough to make full 1 hoagie or about 2 sandwiches

FOR THE FILLING:
1/4 Package of Tofurky Philly Slices
1/4 White or Vidalia Onion, sliced thinly
Handful of Button or Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced thinly
1/4 Cup (or a handful) Daiya Mozarella Cheese (or your favorite vegan moz)

1 tsp cooking oil or Earth Balance spread
seasoning (Nature's Seasoning, or a combo of salt+pepper+garlic powder)

ALL THAT OTHER STUFF:
1 Hoagie Roll or 2 Slices of White Bread
2 to 4
Slices of Tomato, optional
2
Leaves of Lettuce, optional
Vegenaise (I like Purple...)


While your skillet or panini press/grill is heating up to about medium, slice the chunk of tofurky slices lengthwise into strips. You can separate the hunks into thinner strips since tofurky meats like to stick together. Set aside.

Chuck the onions and mushrooms into the pan with a smidgen of cooking oil, season to your liking. Saute until cooked to your preferred level of done-ness (slightly translucent but not completely done), then add the "steak" slices to the pan. Once everything is warm (don't cook the tofurky too long otherwise it starts to look weird), add sprinkle in the cheese. Toss everything around until it's melted, stringy, and everything is evenly distributed. If you need to add more cheese, go for it -- it's your sandwich, do whatever you want!

Toast the bread of your choosing and dress one or both of the sides with Vegenaise. Add the filling from the skillet, then top with your favorite toppings--I like to use lettuce, tomato, and raw onions to add a bit of a zing to it. Mustard is good too, I suppose.

-----

It's nothing fancy, but it is tasty. You'll have to experiment with the quantities of the ingredients to get the perfect sandwich for you since everyone likes their philly sandwiches a certain way. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Last time I was home my Dad made these using portabella mushrooms as the "steak." No soy involved at all. I'm not a fan of mushrooms, so it didn't work for me, but seeing and smelling them made me wish I liked mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete