Thursday, May 27, 2010

Daiya Cheesy Quesadillas


So, I'm generally not one for cheese substitutes. This realization is actually quite surprising as I, like most vegetarians, hesitated in becoming vegan because I thought a life without cheese would be far too unsatisfying. Boy, was I wrong. Two years since giving it up I have all but forgotten how to use it really.

But then, strangely enough, I had a craving for ooey gooey cheesy quesadillas. I think it's partially because the vegan blogosphere has completely fallen for Daiya cheeses for both its flavor and melting capabilities. I figured I'd give it a shot and I was quite pleased with the results!

Daiya Cheese Quesadillas

Ingredients
  • Burrito-size flour tortilla
  • 1 pkg. Daiya cheese
  • 1 diced green pepper
  • 1/2 diced onion
  • 1 tbsp. minced garlic
  • your favorite Mexican spices
To Cook

Saute your onions, green pepper and garlic in a medium pan with oil or cooking spray. Add salt, cumin, cilantro, cayenne--any spices you like. Cook until your onions are clear. Layer half of your tortilla with Daiya cheese, vegetables and even more cheese as desired. Fold your tortilla over and sprinkle with, well, more cheese. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until crispy and the cheese is melty.

This recipe goes great served with diced tomatoes, homemade guacamole (skip the store-bought, it's as simple as avocado, lime juice, salt and cilantro in a blender), and non- hydrogenated Tofutti Better than Sour Cream if you are feeling nostalgic for dairy. I also made spring mix salad topped with a combination of black beans, corn and spicy salsa that I heated up on the stove.

This dish is super filling and hits that need for comfort food. I think it's an especially good treat for omnis and vegetarians to see just how satisfying and simple vegan cooking can truly be!

4 comments:

  1. Making this tonight for dinner! Thanks for the idea. However both the groceries were out of Daiya cheese! They said all of a sudden it is very popular. Probably means nothing but it still encouraged me to think that maybe people are starting to try alternatives to the products we know are hurting animals, people, and the environment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! We can only hope! Where do you get Daiya in Gainesville? Mother Earth?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both Wards, and Publix carry it now (usually!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. now thats what im talking about!!! im a sucker for mexican foods. and whats this i here about publix carrying daiya? are you serious? that would be great news cause if one publix orders it, they all could. and i wouldnt have to drive an hour to buy it from whole foods.

    ReplyDelete