This is my favorite dish to bring to potlucks because it is fast and easy to make, I usually have the ingredients on hand, it can be easily doubled, you can add any veggies you want, and pick any kind of pasta you have on hand. It's also a favorite of my omnivore friends which is always a big plus.
- 1 (12-13 oz.) box of pasta (I used whole wheat penne, but I also like using elbow macaroni noodles. Pick your favorite.)
- 1 jar of your favorite red pasta sauce (organic is always best)
- 1 can of diced tomatoes or 2-3 medium to large tomatoes chopped up
- 1 large zucchini chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 1 large onion chopped
- half bag of Boca brand crumbles
- 1/2 container of tofutti sour cream (or any other vegan sour cream)
- salt and pepper to taste
- olive oil for pan
- *optional: shredded vegan mozzarella cheese
- Brown the boca crumbles in a little bit of olive oil in a medium sized pot.
- Add chopped onion, zucchini, and carrot to pot.
- Continue to heat until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the jar of pasta sauce and the can of diced tomatoes. (or fresh tomatoes)
- Simmer for about 15 minutes or more with lid on, until its nice and tasty. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Boil the noodles for 5 minutes ONLY! They will continue to cook in the oven and you don't want them to become soft and mushy.
- Drain the noodles and add them to the pasta sauce mixture. Stir well and pour the entire mixture into a medium to large casserole dish or you can leave it in your pot if it is oven safe.
- Spoon the sour cream into your pasta mixture. Stir it only slightly, you want to leave it clumpy in some areas.
- Optional: Top with shredded vegan mozzarella cheese.
- Cover and put into oven at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes or until bubbly.