Saturday, September 25, 2010

Stuffed Mushrooms









So I am very proud of this one! I usually at least loosely follow a recipe when trying new things but today I struck out on my own and it turned out great! So here it is guys. Ethical Eats take on Stuffed Mushrooms, with pesto and "feta". If you try it let me know how it goes.!

It started with the realization that my herbs growing outside would soon be killed by frost. So I said "Carpe Herbum" and decided to use a bunch of my garden's fresh herbs!

Ingredients

Package of large white mushrooms There were about 6 or 7 I think)

  • 2 teaspoons of olive oil
  • basil
  • parsley
  • chives
  • cilantro
  • 1 table spoon flax seed
  • 1 or 2 cloves garlic
  • 2 table spoons of medium tofu (Well one package actually)
  • 2 tables spoons of veganaise
  • 1/4 tea spoon of raw sugar
  • 1 table spoon of nutritional yeast

Combine all ingredients but mushrooms into a food processor or blender.... Play around with the flavor. I used what I had around the house and it was fantastic. Lemon juice, pine nuts, cashews etc would be awesome in there as well as jalapenos.

meanwhile....


Making "Feta"

crumble tofu onto cutting board and sprinkle tofu with salt and cover with paper towels to dry out.

Saute tofu in earth balance or (veg. Oil) with a table spoon of nutritonal Yeast and flax seed on med-high until golden and crispy.

Lemon juice would be good. I did not have any.


Cut out the stems to hollow out the mushrooms and preheat the oven to 350.

mix your pesto and “feta” together. I only used about 3 table spoons because I then blended the stems with some almond milk and remaining pesto and made a pesto cream for pasta


Dollop your mixture into your caps, and bake for about 15 mins! ( my oven is tiny and old may be shorter if you have a spiffy new oven)

mmmmhmmmhmmmhmhmhm good!

Yum....

No comments:

Post a Comment